Disappointing Season; Honest Assesment (with no big spoilers)
This is an honest review for the person who is actually considering buying season 8 and has presumably seen one or more previous seasons. (no one starts on the final season, do they?) With a couple minor exceptions, I won't spoil anything.
It seems many of the other reviews have taken issue with the plot; love it or hate it. I'm here to tell you, it's irrelevant. Why? An implausible or unrealistic plot will always be trumped by character development. If the characters are believable, likeable, captivating, and have chemistry with one another, the show will be fun to watch, irrespective of the plot. Imagine this for a plot line: "Protagonist serial killer rescues stepsister after she falls in love with doctor who is also a serial killer and protagonist's brother." Plausible? Not a chance. But it doesn't matter- everyone agrees, season 1 was one of the most enjoyable to watch. It was all because of the characters. Great characters make the story captivating regardless of how...
IT'S REALLY HARD TO END REMARKABLE SHOWS
Yes, unfortunately it happened. "Dexter" came to an end. I've seen every one of the ninety-six episodes of the show (some of them several times, my personal favorite being episode #84) and I don't think it's fair to say that Season 8 was weak. It wasn't as strong as Seasons 1-4 or as Season 7 but we were introduced to some interesting, compelling characters (Dr. Vogel, for example) and to unexpected turns in the story. For me, Season 8 started falling appart in episode 94: The conclusion of the show was really disappointing. When I finished watching the last episode I realized that maybe it's just too hard to end a remarkable show with a bang. Look what happened at the conclusion of "Seinfeld" back in 1998. I have been imagining different scenarios for the ending of "Dexter" and I haven't been able to come up with one that I would have found completely satisfying (I always envisioned Dexter being killed on the last episode.) All I can say is that "Dexter" was indeed a remarkable...
A bitter sweet end
CONTAINS SPOILERS SO PLEASE WATCH OUT
We wrote our first Dexter review at the end of S7 and threw up some possible story points for S8 (pretty unsuccessfully!). There seems to be alot of early negative reviews here, relating to the season in general, but particularly with the ending and although we were disappointed too the 1 & 2 star ratings are way to harsh.
After writing the S7 review we had hoped that the final season would eschew the standard Dexter formula and NOT introduce new characters and provide yet another serial/master killer. The reason being that all S8 had to do was start at precisely where S7 ended and should have simply focused on Angel, sharply changing his mind about retiring, and with the full resources of Miami Metro behind him, aggressively investigate the murder of Maria (I mean, is there a fan out there who really did not want to see more of the immediate aftermath of Maria's murder..........particularly when Dexter & Deb went back to...
Click to Editorial Reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment